- Bestselling Author
- Viral, Syndicated Blogger
- Popular Humorist
- Conference Workshop Facilitator
Audiences in five countries – Spain, Ireland, Canada, Mexico, and throughout the United States – have enjoyed the unique wit and wisdom of Elaine Ambrose. From her childhood on a potato farm in southern Idaho to her corporate days of organizing news conferences in New York City, she brings a provocative blend of humor, motivation, and country charm to each presentation and workshop.
Ambrose is funny, irreverent, and refreshing, and her advice is spot-on.”
- Foreword Reviews 5-Star National Clarion Review
Elaine Ambrose doesn’t just light up a room, she is incandescent. Energetic, joyful, insightful, adaptable, she’s the highlight of any conference. I’m lucky enough to have heard her speak on many occasions. She has been unfailingly fresh, funny, and engaging every time.”
- AK Turner, New York Times bestselling author
Ambrose is “laugh-out-loud funny.”
Writers at the 2016 Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop described Elaine as “entertaining and informative.” One wrote, “I came away with a lot of pros and cons of the different venues for publishing and many ideas for turning shorter works into books.”
- Teri Rizvi, Founder, Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop, Executive Director of Strategic Communications, University of Dayton
This video provides a glimpse into her humorous style that appeals to audiences of all ages.
Elaine’s presentations can range from a 30-minute speech to a two-hour interactive workshop. Here is a summary of her most requested topics with bullet points from information the audiences will learn:
Live Happy or Die Crabby
- How everyday props and visual aids can become lessons for a daily positive attitude
- How to avoid negative stereotypes and reduce harmful habits
- The five essential natural ingredients for a Laughter Stew – With Leftovers
- How to imagine a relaxing cruise on your lunch hour and return as a warrior
Beyond Midlife: How to Remain Relevant
- Refuse to Be Invisible
- Turn Your Empty Nest into a Center of Creativity
- Be Nice to Your Brain and Body
- Believe that Matriarchs Rule the World
From Type A to Be Positive
- How Recovering Corporate Executives can Reduce Stress
- Discover Who You Are without a Title on a Business Card
- Why It’s Time to Pause When Your To-Do List Needs Another Page
- Merry-Go-Rounds and Hamster Wheels are for Kids
Your Journey is Your Story: How to Write a Memoir
- This interactive discussion incorporates the workshop Elaine facilitated in Ireland with Wayfinding Women, April 2018.
- Participants answer a series of questions to tap into childhood memories that formed their core values and personalities.
- Writing prompts develop an outline for a future memoir.
- Participants are encouraged to share their stories.
How to Write Humor
- This interactive discussion includes Elaine’s presentation at the prestigious Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop, in Dayton, Ohio, in 2016, and the presentation she gave at the Type-A Writers’ Conference, Santa Fe, New Mexico, 2016.
- Participants analyze lines that cause them to laugh or groan.
- Participants study writings from a variety of humorists.
- Participants can volunteer to offer an original humorous anecdote.
Write Now: You Can Become a Writer
- How to Focus on Basic Writing Techniques and Prompts
- The Value of Editors, Writing Conferences, and Critique Groups
- The Reading List Every Writer Needs
- How Writing will Open the Next Chapter of Your Life
Ageless Woman: Finding Joy in Your Journey
- What to Do When the Goals Change, Disaster Strikes, and Detours Don’t End
- Happily Ever After is for Fairy Tales
- How to Merge Your Pioneer and Princess Paths
- How to Recognize the Subtle Nudges that Can Lead to Joy
How to Tell a Story
- Learn the Five Elements of a Delightful Story
- Practice Speaking Out Loud
- How to Know Your Audience
- How to Choose a Genre
How to Turn Your Blog into a Book
- Elaine shares the workshop she facilitated at the prestigious Erma Bombeck Writers’ Workshop.
- How to use blog posts as writing prompts.
- How to self-publish your posts into a book.
- What marketing techniques work best for self-publishers.
How to Get Published: Agent, Hybrid, or Self-Publish
- Elaine explains how she was published through an agent and “Big House” publishing company.
- She describes why she created her own publishing company to self-publish her books.
- Elaine’s next adventure was to work with a “hybrid” publisher and share costs.
- This presentation outlines the advantages and disadvantages to various type of publishing options.
Beyond the Campfire: An Interactive Storytelling Workshop
- Audience members will practice telling original and well-known stories.
- Storytellers will improve public speaking abilities.
- Discussions will focus on various genres, from horror to folk to comedy.
- The group will utilize both speaking and listening techniques to polish a stellar performance.
- Storytelling Endowment Speech at the University of Idaho, 2018
- Featured Storyteller, Boise Storyfort, 2018
- Featured Storyteller, McCall Alpine Playhouse, 2018
- How to Write Memoir, Idaho Writers Guild, 2018
- Short Story Workshop, Idaho Writers Guild, 2018
- Publishing Panel: Bloggers at Midlife Conference, Nashville, Tennessee, 2015
- Writing Panel: Bloggers at Midlife Conference, Las Vegas, Nevada, 2016.
- Keynote Speaker: Type-A Writers’ Conference, Santa Fe, New Mexico, 2016 – “A Lesson in Humor Writing”
Commencement Speaker, University of Idaho, 2000, College of Southern Idaho, 2013
BlogHer “Voices of the Year” writing winner, New York City, New York, 2016
Elaine is a popular luncheon speaker known for using props such as finger puppets to entertain audiences at various luncheons and after-dinner speeches for civic groups, private organizations, and community service groups. For several years, Elaine was on retainer to present quarterly speeches for retiring employees of Idaho Power Corporation. She hosted and spoke for a collegiate alumni group touring Spain, spoke to the annual meeting of a fraternal organization in Vancouver, Canada, enjoyed a book signing event in Todos Santos, Mexico, and facilitated a writing discussion in Ireland with Wayfinding Women. She also organizes a comedy show in southern Idaho called, “Life Sucks, Laugh Hard.”
For an example of her humor writing abilities, here’s an audio version of her viral essay, “Don’t Fart During an MRI.” The Huffington Post blog post received more than 800,000 likes and was translated into six languages around the world. The scene below is from the HuffPost Live interview from New York City.
What Others Are Saying:
- “Elaine received a standing ovation after her presentation at our national convention in Seattle. She was the highlight of the event.”
– Jan Stanley, owner, Lindal Cedar Homes
- “Elaine is one of the most humorous and entertaining speakers I have ever heard. I am impressed with the variety of topics Elaine covers so well and her ability to connect with audiences of all ages and backgrounds. She is always a big hit.”
- – Jim Everett, CEO, Boise Family YMCA
- “Elaine’s motivational speeches are such a refreshing reminder for us to live each day to the fullest. She will make you laugh, cry, and wonder about this journey of life that we are all traveling. She motivated our cast until they stood up and cheered!”
- – Jamie Cesaro, Vocal Instructor, UP WITH PEOPLE International Touring Cast
- “Elaine combines humor, style, imagination, and intellect to be one of the most engaging public speakers I have ever encountered. She is an exciting personality!”
- – Dr. Robert Hoover, President and CEO, Idaho Community Foundation
Radio interview on BlogTalk Radio with Jeanie Brosius King describes my thoughts about the death of my younger brother. This segment is titled “How the NOW is What We Have.”
For details about rates and availability for events and speaking engagements, contact:
WCD Enterprises LLC